20/07/2012

Jessica Voorsanger Tutorial

We began the tutorial by discussing a couple of recent pieces of work I had made, including the two exhibited at Beaconsfield. Questioning the specific choices of imagery, Jessica asked me how i select each image before printing them, whether or not they were random. I explained that I had moved away from using figurative images of my family in an attempt to de personalise the work, and instead select photographs I have taken from various places and locations, usually of objects which spark a memory or emotion i had felt in this space. However, communicating this effectively to my audience has proven to be difficult as the material itself carries its own identity. 
Jessica felt as though my images had a 'snapshot' aesthetic, and understood that I am trying to make a moment physical using the materials for their specific qualitites. 
Continuing with how the imagery is chosen; we discussed how much i want my viewer to know as well as see. Whether the work is fully accessible. 
We then went on to look at the piece of work I made for the Hannah Barry exhibition - the framed image of the chairs. Agreeing that the use of the frame clarified it as an 'art piece' as opposed to the unframed works which are recognised more so as objects on their own. Jessica felt the viewer would question these more so. 
J and I also reviewed the projection piece exhibited for the Beaconsfield project. This presented a few issues because it was the first time I had used an image which wasn't mine aswell as it being of a painting and not a photograph. Both, in effect, changing the context of the work entirely, which was something i didn't want to do. However, perhaps i found them so intriguing and felt the need to exhibit them because these found slides were not mine and therefore i had no personal attachment to them.
Lastly, I spoke about my idea to make objects purposefully designed to support the material & image. J said this is something i should definitely try out. 
Issues I will be thinking further on as a result of this conversation - 
  • With regards to the presentational aspect for the show, I need to think about the amount of works shown as this crucially influences their importance. For an example, if i was to exhibit the two large sheets - because of both their scale and the fact there are only two, there would be a large focus on why these in particular. 
  • The choice of imagery needs to be further defined. How personal I want my images to be which in affect, alters their accessibility to the viewer.
  • When referencing specific objects within a photograph, remember that they already have their own identity. E.g. The ballon - celebration of an occasion
  • Identify exactly what it is I am wanting my audience 'to get' out of the work at the degree show, and how the visuals translate when put together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment