06/08/2012

Written Paper


When beginning the MA, my initial intention was to explore objects and mediums in order to intervene in image-making. Looking at the resonance of both material and image and how to use this imagery to create some sort of visual dialogue between the two. Employing a diverse range of material including slide projections, photographic prints onto Styrofoam and objects to explore ideas of sculptural installation, image and setting. Questioning how the tactility of the mediums used communicate within the work and what then happens to the material in the process that may influence the reading. Through this use of mixed media experimentation, I began looking at modes of display and composition. 
The selection process of choosing specific imagery to work with has become extremely significant within my current work. After experimenting with domestic set ups, using quite personal images of family and  then generic landscape images alongside quite random objects, I have decided for my final project to escape the inclusion of the figurative and use visuals slightly less personal as I want them to contain a degree of ambiguity and uncertainty. 
After attempting to print onto other materials such as polystyrene, this has not been quite as successful as my original foam printing technique; therefore I have decided to continue using polyurethane foam as my predominant material within these assemblages. Exploring this idea of sentiments put into the material and archiving memories. I have constructed a series of objects combining random shapes of polyurethane and wood. This additional support acts as an unconventional framing for the image. I plan to incorporate these within a large scale ‘backdrop’ visual in order to offer alternative dimensions. This work will be part of an enquiry into how we encounter and experience images and how images relate to sculptural objects.
Following my graduation at Camberwell, I have been shortlisted to partake in an exhibition for the Saatchi New Sensations prize 2012, which takes place in October, during Frieze week. This however clashes with a residency in Malta organised by one of my fellow classmates, which I have also committed to. I am hoping to join the group a couple of days later so that I can still participate.
The residency is a two week long programme run by an organisation called MILKSHAKE. The workshop will provide an opportunity for us to develop our practices personally or in collaboration if we choose to do so. The first week of the residency will be dedicated to meeting some of the local artists and the making of work, and the second week will be focused on the set up of the exhibition leading to the private view and opening of 'Ogygia'. 
 After the residency and Saatchi exhibition, I am hoping to find a studio somewhere in London so that I am able to continue developing my practice. Alongside the continuation of making work I would like to find a job based in a small non commercial gallery or an artist-run project space. I have had experience working as a gallery invigilator but would hope to find something slightly more challenging and more involved with the artwork itself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment