19/03/2012

Tate Modern: Yayoi Kusama

'Infinity Mirrored Room'
Seeing as I'm writing my research paper on the subject of Situational Art, I thought it was about time I paid a visit to the much talked about Kusama exhibition at the Tate Modern.
All I knew about Yayoi Kusama was that she was known for her obsessively repetitive use of spots. Whether they were executed in a painting of an installation, this was her stamp on the art world if you like.
The exhibition itself ranged from her 'Infinity Net' paintings and '1960's collage' to her 'Accumulation Sculptures', where she had cleverly transformed every day furniture into snake-like forms using a constellation of phallic shapes. It was interesting and also very humerous to see the mass of children running around the gallery rooms shouting out "willies" - perhaps not one to take your children to. 
But what really captivated me, was Kusama's two installational pieces - 'I Am Here but Nothing' and 'Infinity Mirrored Room' (above). I'm not going to give a detailed description on what they were about because I think this is something people really do need to experience for themselves.
 However, I will say that for me, these were what made the show. Beautifully executed and a true experience of the infinite.

No comments:

Post a Comment