12/04/2012

Asco 'First Supper (After a Major Riot)'

 
I came across this image in an Artforum magazine. 
It is a still taken from a site-speciffic performance piece in December 1974, during a rush hour on a traffic island at Arizona Street and Whittier Boulevard. This island was the scene of a bloody police shooting. The performance, which was a picnic held by a Chicano Performance group called Asco, intended to remove the negativity caused by the shooting.
I felt immediately compelled to use this image in my blog because it seemed to have an inspiring effect on my work. Although my installations do not involve performance, this is an aspect I would like to perhaps consider. The chairs set around the table in particular, encouraging audience participation - could be an exciting new pathway to draw upon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment